Thursday, August 13, 2009

Editor: R15 000

Waaaaaaaaaahhhh............

this is terrible!!!

On another note: A bestseller in SA is a book that's sold 3000 copies. Rest of the world: 100 000 copies! What a small market!

You should try to sell 1000 copies in the first 3 months. In other words, 1/3 of the market. yoy.

There you have it. That's all I found out today, except for submitting to 5 agents and getting 2 replies, one a "maybe, we're not yet done looking" and one a "no thanks".

Double the dosage of St John's Wort.

Oh and btw: Let's see how many stories I can think of in which the main antagonist was NOT one person.

  • Twister
  • The Perfect Storm
  • Animal Farm
  • 1984
  • The Tarn (short-story)
  • Rain Man
  • The Running Man
  • Bladerunner
  • Angelheart
  • House of Cards (in fact there isn't an antagonist at all, it's a mother's struggle to get her child back into the "real" world after the death of her father - perhaps the most moving film I've ever seen)
  • Awakenings
  • Little Man Tate
I'm sure I can carry on ad lib. It seems to me all the BEST stories have antagonists that are not "a person".

I absolutely cannot handle it when someone tries to make "rules" for writing! If we all wrote the same way and style and stylized storyline and characters, we'd all be writing the same book, ni? Get real!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment